Wednesday, November 16, 2005

Political Debate

During recent months, I have engaged in a fair amount of political debate on the Internet and I must say that I am getting rather tired of it.

For the most part, I would say that any one individual has the same end goals as another, no matter the political philosophy or religion or whatever. The opinion of how to achieve those goals is so vastly different; however, that it in many ways keeps anything significant or meaningful from being accomplished. I went to the opening lecture at a Diversity Conference at my university and I found myself agreeing with the speaker as he talked about the types of goals he hoped to achieve. Nevertheless, by the end of the lecture, his liberal bias was becoming evident and I realized that although we wanted the same end result, we would be strongly opposed to using each others approach to making it happen. It's sad really. Maybe that's why so little seems to get done. We are all so busy arguing about how it should be done that we don't do anything about it. Even as I write this I can't help but think about how idiotic I feel the liberal approach is to any number of problems.

What can we do to get over this obstacle and make some progress in making our world a better place? One were our children can grow up safe, where all people are treated with decency and respect, where we are free, where the poor are cared for, where abuse and oppression are no more.

What are your goals? What kind of a world do you want? Is it so different from what I want?

No comments: